Friday, April 27, 2012

Reminisce

If you're a Canadian--specifically an Albertan--or are familiar with our incredible province, you'll know that our weather is iffy. Especially the closer you live to the mountains.

Most of us, if not all of us, grew up with the phrase, 'wait five minutes, it'll change'.

That would be an exasperated reference to our weather. Because, it can really be THAT finicky. I seem to remember having snow in June, and incredibly warm weather right into late December. There's also been days (kinda like today) where the weather goes from one extreme right to the next. Although, it is spring, and I'm saying this with that well in mind!

We started the morning off with wet, fat, white snow flakes, and entered this afternoon with the ground drying out and the sun attempting to come out. And WARM. I sat on the deck for an hour while the kids played, barefoot, and contemplating taking off my sweater because I couldn't decide if it was too warm or I just THOUGHT so. Nope, I think its warm. I opened the windows a tad, and the air coming in is so refreshing!

We bought a new lawn mower just in time for it to snow again.

ONLY in Alberta!!

11* the turn around in weather today
12* the moisture
13* fond memories

A couple weeks ago, I pulled this t-shirt out of the drawer, and all kinds of memories came flooding back while it was in my hands.



Memories like being 4.5 months pregnant, walking around Las Vegas, with swollen feet and twin beans {I'm sure} covering their ears inside the womb while we were at the drag strip. You see, we went for the NHRA drag racing finals. The alcohol cars were so loud, and the ground reverberated so fiercely as they passed us, that I was sure the noise or the movement was going to hurt the twins somehow. Thankfully it didn't, but I instinctively held my growing belly each time the cars roared past us. Even from a mile away (while we sat on the bus waiting for a ride back to our hotel, the ground shook). That's immense power!

{And, on a bunny trail, Maren just LOVES going fast...anytime daddy hits the gas and drives really fast, she shouts, 'wheeeeeeee'!!!!! She may be our rail driver, after all!!} Maybe one of the twins was watching that drag racing a little too closely :)

Memories like how frustrated I would get with the changes my body was going through during that time. Carpal tunnel was keeping me miserable, it was about that time that things really began swelling, and as a result, walking around was minimal. No drinks allowed for me, so I asked for 'virgin' screwdrivers and virgin pina colada's...I really wanted the cool treasure island cup, though! But, if you don't drink, you don't get one. Boo!!

My belly was starting to show during that time, and I was so proud of it. We were so proud of being pregnant, and told anyone and everyone- whenever we had the chance- that we were pregnant and expecting twins. My doctor kept telling us that twins these days are nothing special- lots of people are having multiples nowadays, but they were special to us. And, they still are.

When I met them for the first time--in the NICU--I was SO in awe of them, I couldn't keep from crying any time I let myself think. I would just look at them, and the tears would come spilling from my eyes. They were so incredible--those two fragile little babies had come from MY body! And, they were PERFECT!!! I went through the entire pregnancy worried there was going to be something wrong- missing fingers, toes, limbs that didn't work...it ran the gamut.

Memories like the first time I had morning sickness- thankfully it was only once, so it was probably something other than that, but I threw up right in the middle of breakfast. It wasn't pretty. It was actually pretty horrifying. LOL It was the day we were going on a tour of Hoover Dam. Kyle had never been there (in fact, he'd never been on a vacation like that before, and Hoover Dam was on his 'Bucket List'.) He was thrilled and awed. I felt sort of ill the rest of the day, but it turned out to be pretty wonderful.

Ohh...memories of the bus driver that brought us to Hoover Dam from our hotel. He was the sweetest, funniest guy in the universe. He had such great energy. We really SHOULD have gotten him talking on video--you'd get a real kick out of it. He found a lot of humour in life and the things that happen in life, and he would chuckle and say 'yes, yes' after just about everything he said. When I think of him, I still smile.

Memories of stopping at Target on our way back home (we drove from home--Carlyle, Sask, at that time, to Minot, ND to catch our flight...nope, not Minot. Bismarck) so that I could pick up maternity underwear. My own underwear was getting too small, and much to my dismay, there was no such thing as maternity underwear. Only big, BIG lady underwear. So, I picked up a couple packages of size like 8X to wear throughout the remainder of my pregnancy. ANother mark for the 'ultimate embarrassments' in my life. LOL

Memories like this...I want to hold on to forever. Because, even though I was incredibly annoyed with the changes my body was going through, I now know that I would do it over again in a heartbeat. There will probably be no more children in our future, though I am praying that there will be at least ONE more sometime in our future. Maybe when the twins are in school, because right now, they're all I can handle!!

(Now that I've got this typed out, I'm thinking I'm going to use this post for my journalling when I get this lo done. I know I want a lot of journalling, and I want it to focus on 'reminiscing'...)

14* the opportunity to have been pregnant and carry two beautiful babies for 7.5 months
15* meeting, getting to know, and instantly falling in love with those two bean sprouts
16* and, because its so important to me, FOND MEMORIES

No comments:

Post a Comment