Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Monster Jam

Good morning! Incredibly, its 9:30 am and my children are still sleeping!! What's up with that?!

It was a late night for us last night. The kids were scheduled to come home from their grandparents place. Originally, the plan was to take them out for dinner, but it didn't work out that way. We waited and waited to hear from them (to find out when they were coming), and never heard from them. So, at 5 yesterday afternoon, I finally texted Grandma to see where they were. She texted back saying they were just eating supper then were going to hit the road. Bummer.

Kyle and I were getting grocery shopping done while we waited for (as it turned out) Grandma and the kids. Grandpa had to go to work. He was able to meet up with me after my massage yesterday (yes...mmmm bliss!) and we got the grocery shopping done together. It was fun! After getting what I could from Walmart, we headed over to IGA (Sobey's) to get what I can't from Walmart- basically fruit, veggies and meat. (And a couple scrapbook albums because my lo's desperately needed to be bound!! I was afraid they were going to get mixed up if I didn't do it SOON! It was a big job, but I just.finished.it. Phew!)

Grandma called while we were in the checkout line saying she was broken down three blocks from home, and we needed to come pick up the kids. Ok! Zip home, quickly unload the Yukon, re-stock my fridge and freezer, hit up McDonalds (which I am so.sick of junk food!!! We've eaten way too much fast food this weekend. Enough already. I can hardly wait to cook a square meal tonight!) and 'beep beep, zoomy zoomy' down to Grandma's.

We got home at 10 last night, got the kids changed and ready for bed, made them some porridge for a snack (upon their request), read their bedtime stories and turned out the lights. All by 10:30. And, they slept right away, I think. I'm impressed- they didn't even nap on our way home. I think they were too excited about mama and daddy and going home. They chattered most of the way home- until it turned into fussing and whining (only on Maren's behalf, thankfully).

We were definitely tired when we got home! I had wanted to scrapbook last night, but obviously it didn't work out that way! My goal is to play for a bit this afternoon, should I decide to put the kids down for a nap. Since they're sleeping in, I might not get the chance. If not, there's always tonight!!

So, here's the few pictures that actually turned out from Monster Jam:

On our way into Edmonton on Friday, the girls fell asleep. Naturally. I was driving, and daddy turned around to have a peek at the girls, and he found Addison sleeping still hanging onto her Manny (Happy Meal toy)

I didn't get a picture of it, and now I really wish that I had. Maren had her first tumble at Oma and Poppa's house (we needed to stop there before meeting up with Grandma and Grandpa K to pick up the girls' playpens). She was walking along the sidewalk to the backyard, and tripped on an uneven piece and scraped her knee. She cried, daddy picked her up, and mama made it all better. I gave her a big hug, brought her to the bathroom, cleaned it up and put a 'doctor' on it. Then kissed it all better. As I put the band-aid on, she told me 'thank you, mama'. It melted my heart.

Then, on our way out of the house, we stopped to leave Oma a love note. She scribbled on some paper, and said 'thank you, Oma' while she was colouring. (So, I wrote on Maren's note that she said thank you for the 'doctor'). I wish I had a picture of that too, but alas, I left my camera in the Yukon. I guess there'll be many more boo boo's right?

Just gotten seated at the show.

Uncle- after the cranky pants face he pulled :)

Uncle and J (we--ok I experienced some confusion between these two boys. If Kyle and I talked about either one of them, I always had to clarify exactly.who we were talking about--they both have the same name!!)

This little guy was so.stinking.cute! He was sitting in front of us and is 7 months old (his mommy told us, after I guessed him to be 6-8 months old). He was just going nuts on an empty water bottle that his mommy let him play with, but as soon as his ear muffs were put on, he went cuh-razy!!! Just talking, and squealing and carrying on- he was such a sweet, happy baby boy! My heart really aches when I see babies like this, and husband gets all fuzzy and mushy over them. It always makes me think, 'seriously?? You're done? We could have this again, you know???' But, I never say it. Maybe one day I will, but that's truly what's in my heart.

And, of course, husbands' absolute favourite monster truck. Too bad Dennis Anderson wasn't driving, though! That'd be like the icing on the cake! We did, however, buy the girls each a Grave Digger tee, and a little Grave Digger stuffy toy. (They'll have to share it, though. We only got one).

Other than the motor x stunt team, a jet car came out and burnt a car to the ground. Literally. Pieces from it were flying all over the place, and at one point, the force of the fire coming out actually pushed the car backwards a few yards. Yeah, it was incredible!

Shortly after this, the batteries to the camera died, and I had no back ups, so this is where the pictures end. Not that much else exciting happened, other than the jet car taking an 8 second cruise down the quarter mile drag strip.

We bumped into friends (k, not really. I found out via Facebook that they were planning to surprise their boys- also twins- with a trip to see the Monster Trucks. We did manage to see them, amidst the crowd of 3000 + spectators, and I happened to see my cousin, her husband and their kids, though I'm not sure they saw me. So, small world when it comes to stuff like this!

In a nutshell, that's the majority of our weekend. Its at least the highlights of our weekend. I also got my Yukon washed and vacuumed- inside and out and we had brunch with my sister, BIL (who is in the pictures above) mom and dad. Then, we spent a nice evening to ourselves, and an incredibly quiet and too fast day by myself.

Having said that, though, I'm so happy to have my kids back at home.

On that note, its time to go. Kidlets are finally awake!


  1. Sweet pictures. Glad you guys had so much fun.

  2. Awwwwww! Such wonderful photos, Alison! I love the ones taken at the Monster Jam, and the sleeping children afterward!!! Just so sweet and adorable! TFS!